Acrylics Painting Tutorial with Video
How to paint a seascape in acrylics?
This time I decided I would film my painting process and I used my camera. I filmed how to paint a seascape on canvas. I used my Nikon 3100 and I found out that this type of camera can only film 10 minutes, so I had to film everything in around 6 videos.
Next time I will edit the videos and glue everything together because editing each video on Youtube is a bit of a waste of time. Anyway, I also edited them to play in timelapse, so the real speed of the video would be at around 0.5. Each video is around 5 minutes long.
I will also publish here the playlist with the videos. I got inspiration from a lessons of Bob Ross. He is a famous painter and has valuable lessons for those who wish to learn to paint. I picked the “Waves of Wonder” episode from season 15. it’s a painting with waves, clouds and beach.
- I split the canvas in two using paper tape. This way I could paint the clouds without going over the horizon line.
- I started with the sunny side of the sky, using a Primary Blue – Cyan. I tried to do this part uniformly.
- I left the clouds part unpainted and I started with the shadows of the clouds. The light comes from the left side, so the shadows are more visible on the right.
- After that, I applied Titanium white for the highlighted parts of the cloud.
- To blend the colors and give the soft look of the clouds, I used a damp brush and carefully mixed the colors. I used just the tip of the brush and made circular moves.
- Next I traced where I thought that the focus object of my painting should be, and that is the wave.
- With a mix of blue, black and turquoise I traced the sea next to the horizon.
- For the main wave, I used Primary Yellow mixed with a little Titanium white. To blend it with the blue and turquoise below I used same technique as I used for the clouds.
- With a smaller brush I applied white for the foam.
- Using a palette knife I applied Carbon Black and Cyan Brown to create the hard and edgy rocks. I used yellow and white to highlight them in the upper part.
- In the end, I used a small brush to create the waves that touch the shore.
I enjoyed creating this painting, also this video. I learned new things about blending colors and using different types of brushes.
My niece sat beside me for a while, and she was pleased by what she was seeing. She told me she believes I could teach people to paint just sitting like that and painting. She is my sweetheart.
Thank you for reading.
Enjoy the videos!